All times are Egypt Local (CET is 1 hr behind; US ET is 7 hrs behind)
Odds courtesy of Bet MGM
If you want to watch the matches that aren’t available on ESPN+ check this article for how to watch geo-blocked matches on YouTube: Link
- 1900 Germany vs Cape Verde (Cancelled)
- 2130 Hungary (-20.5) vs Uruguay (YouTube)
Due to positive COVID tests Cape Verde had only having 9 players available so their match vs Germany was declared a forfeit. Cape Verde is hoping to get some negative test results and to fly in some more players in time to play Uruguay on Tuesday. Tuesday’s matches (Germany vs Hungary) and (Cape Verde vs Uruguay) will be the deciders for this Group.
Group B, as predicted, is very competitive. On Friday, Spain and Brazil played to a 29-29 draw while Poland beat Tunisia 30-28. Tunisia will likely need a win vs Brazil today if they want to go through to the main round. Spain will look to get 2 points vs a young Poland team.
Japan’s draw 29-29 draw vs Croatia is arguably the biggest shock of the tournament so far and sets up a pivotal game vs Qatar today. Croatia should have no problem with Angola today, but they just received some bad news on the injury front as Luka Cindric is out for the tournament with a groin injury
- 1900 Argentina (-2.5) vs Bahrain (on ESPN+) (YouTube) w/English commentary
- 2130 Denmark (-18.5) vs DR Congo (on ESPN+) (YouTube) w/English commentary
Argentina and Bahrain square off in a match that, on paper, should determine 2nd place in the group. Denmark should have no problem with the DR Congo, but fans still will want to tune in to see Congo’s Gauthier Mvumbi, who has become the cult hero of the tournament.
For this tournament we’ve doing some betting predictions using an imaginary starting bankroll of a 1,000 Euros. Joining me will be, Sharp Action, a former professional handball player from France.
- Current Bankroll: $900
- Yesterday’s Result:
- 1st half handicap; France (-5.5) (+128 or 2.28); Bet $100 to win $128; RESULT: France led by only 4, 17-13; Lose $100
- Today’s Pick: DR Congo’s Gauthier Mvumbi Prop Bet
- Gauthier Mvumbi to score +2.5 goals (+123 or 2.23; Bet $100 to win $123
- I had no intention whatsoever to make a wager today… but, then I saw this prop bet and couldn’t resist. Mvumbi was 4 for 4 vs Argentina in limited action and has now become an internet sensation. He’s surely going to get more playing time today and should have more opportunities to score. Denmark has also seen the videos and may pay him extra attention… but, so what? You can’t stop El Gigante. You can only hope to contain him.
Sharp Action’s Pick(s):
- Current Bankroll: 1,000 Dollars
- Yesterday’s Results: N/A
- Today’s Pick: Qatar vs Japan
- 1st half money line; Japan to lead at halftime (+155 or 2.55); Bet $100 to win $155
- I was impressed with Japan’s performance vs Croatia, even if Croatia’s level of handball and motivation was super low in that match. Japane played a simple but very efficient handball and were well prepared by Sigurdsson. They played at a high rhythm for 30 minutes and pushed fast breaks anytime they could, scoring 17 goals in that 1st half. Qatar on the other hand started slowly vs Angola with no clear game plan in attack, which lead to turnovers. I also noticed that Qatar didn’t always come back fast enough in defense. If they repeat this, Japan has a very good chance to be ahead at HT. +155 or 2.55 odds says that there is a 40% implied probability for Japan to be ahead at half time. I see it as a 50 50 at best, so I’m more than happy to take Japan at these odds.